Easter at Saga
Easter in Poros
People are always asking when the best time of the year to visit Greece is. Well, Greece is a rewarding country to visit at any time of the year but for a truly unique experience and insight into the Greek way of life we would always recommend a visit in the week of Orthodox Easter.
Easter time is a very special season in Greece. It begins with the carnivals and celebrations of Apokrea over two months before Easter, followed by Clean Monday with its picnicking and kite flying and then the fasting of Lent. But for most non-Orthodox people it is Holy Week and the celebrations of Easter itself that are the most enjoyable. In Greek, Easter is called Pasha, meaning Passover and it symbolizes the eternal Passover from death to life.
Since the Greek Orthodox Easter is based on the Julian calendar and the Western world uses the Gregorian calendar Easter, usually falls on a different date in Greece.
Easter is the most important holiday of the year for the people of Greece - yes, more important than Christmas! It is always in spring and the countryside is at it's most beautiful at this time. All the wild flowers are in bloom and everywhere is very green after the winter rain. The weather is a very good temperature, it is the perfect time for walking or travelling around. Perhaps it is not the best time of the year for spending a whole day at the beach, but on the other hand you will take part in an experience that you may remember for the rest of your life. You don't have to be particularly religious to enjoy it all. The candlelight tradition on Saturday night, for instance, when the holy flame is passed from person to person gradually lighting up the dark and symbolizing eternal life, moves virtually everybody, believers and non-believers alike!
EASTER PACKAGE AT HOTEL SAGA, POROS 2024
- Holy Thursday: Arrival at the hotel. Afternoon demonstration of making red eggs, Easter bread (tsoureki) or traditional Easter biscuits (koulourakia)
- Holy Friday: Around noon visit, walking around of the churches of the island. Evening escorted visit to one of the churches to follow the Epitaphio procession with your lighted candles, down to the waterfront and along the seaside to meet at the main square of the island.
- Holy Saturday: Dinner will be served at Saga or in a local restaurant featuring some of the traditional Easter food, which you may like to try (meat and vegetable dishes will also be available if you do not want to eat the mageiritsa!) Afterwards, there will be a night escorted walk to the church of Navy Base for the service of the resurrection and the spreading of the holy light, with a very special show of fireworks.
- Easter Sunday: Easter Sunday barbecue at Hotel Saga - truly a feast! The main dish at the Easter Table is the lamb served in honor of the Lamb of God which was sacrificed and rose again at Easter. The whole lamb roasted on a spit is the most traditional Greek Easter dish (vegetarian dishes will be available upon request).
- Monday: Departure with flexible check out time.
The package includes:
- Hotel in Poros with breakfast
- Meals as specified above
- Activities as specified above
- Service and tax
You are very welcome to extend your stay prior or after Easter.
*Please contact us for price and availability
Getting to know Poros island...
Poros is a beautiful and green island in the Saronic Gulf at a very short distance from the shores of the Peloponnese. It has an area of 23 square kilometers, much of which is covered by beautiful pine forests.